Searching...

Interview with..... Bold & Noble

Last Saturday, we were really lucky to get the beautiful Make and Do Mend print featured in the Telegraph...all prints have been flying off the shelves since then but we will get more stock the week starting 06th April.
In the meantime, enjoy the BODIE and FOU interview with the two talented designers Jane and David, behind this beautiful and affordable range of prints lovingly made in Britain

bodie and fou: When did you decide you wanted to be a designer?

Jane: When I was about eight, our teacher asked us to make an animal mask for a school play, my grandfather who was a wonderful illustrator and cartographer created this brilliant monkey mask and I guess that is where the magic started. It was such a beautiful object and I knew I wanted to be a part of that creative process.
David: I always made pictures as a kid but only fully understood what designing was on my foundation course when I'd left school, so probably then.

bodie and fou: Where do you find inspiration for your work?

Jane: When I started my first job, my Creative Director said 'if you want inspiration you should go to the launderette' and I'm a great believer that ideas should come from within, by taking the time to think, doodle and draw – though it is a luxury to find the time when you're also managing a business and have a family. Naturally I'm also influenced by things I see whether that be a newly coppiced hedgerow that makes a graphic shape or some vintage London Underground poster – it all goes in.
David: Everywhere, junk shops and markets are good for old leaflets, maps, ephemera.

bodie and fou: Describe your studio/workplace? Can you show us some pictures?

Jane and David: We have various spaces, the 'designed by david' office where the book cover design business is, and our home come studio where we run the day to day operations of Bold & Noble. Neither of which are glamourous enough to share, but we're working on it.

bodie and fou: Which aspect of your work gives you the most pleasure?

Jane: People's reactions to our work. You start out creating these artworks, not knowing if anyone will want to put them on their walls and when they do it is brilliant, quite overwhelming in fact.
David: The hand drawn parts

bodie and fou: Launching your design studio/company was.....

Jane: We already had 'designed by david' and were getting commissions from most UK publishers, we thought if people buy the books because of the covers maybe they'd like to have artworks too.
David: a natural progression from what we were already doing and was just a case of using the skills we had to try and widen the areas we could work in.

bodie and fou: Best piece of advice you were given?

Jane: Perseverance works – it is true with anything, work away at it and it will come good.
David: Work hard, play hard (Eddy Gainford!) or get something down on paper and go from there.

bodie and fou: When did you get your 'lucky break' ?

Jane: For me I'd say it has been gradual, bit by bit rather than a one off lucky break. Obviously the good press we are getting at the moment has been fortunate though.
David: My first job was designing book covers for Harper Collins, thrown in at the deep end straight away and it is a very direct way of suddenly having your work on shelves, in shops and people deciding whether they like it enough to actually spend money on it.

bodie and fou: How often do you end up with a finished product that you don’t want your name attached to?

Jane: Previously when I worked in a design consultancy it was all about creating something that was right for the Client so you were focusing on their needs, which aren't always the same as yours. So it is a luxury now we have Bold & Noble, we only have to think about what we like and what we think others might like too.
David: I think if thats ever the case then you aren't doing your job properly, I wouldn't be happy for the product to go ahead at all if I wasn't happy enough to put my name to it.

bodie and fou: Who is your favourite designer?
Jane: I don't have favourites really, there are so many inspirational people out there (past and present) it would be impossible to choose one.

bodie and fou: What advice would you give to aspiring designers?

Jane: Play. When you're a child you experiment, you explore, you have fun and come up with some crazy stuff in the process. When you're an adult it is easy to get bogged down in the detail and the process, answering e-mails etc... so my advice is 'have fun and play' and you'll be much more creative.
David: Don't neglect the hand skills

bodie and fou: What would your dream project be?

Jane: Making ceramics. I used to throw pots and it is so therapeutic, but we just don't have the studio space for a wheel (and the mess) at the moment.
David: Designing running shoes

bodie and fou: How do you achieve a good work/life balance?
Jane: I'm writing this when I should be in bed, say no more.
David: With difficulty

bodie and fou: Your most precious belongings at home?

Jane: Everything I own has a memory attached to it and I can be quite sentimental like that, so probably easier to say our son, Wilf.
David: Not really precious about objects.

bodie and fou: How would you describe your style at home?

Jane: Functional
David: Messy?

bodie and fou: Can you cook and what's your signature dish?

Jane: Mmm, I'm not so good that I have a signature dish. Marmite on toast maybe?

bodie and fou: Name something you can't resist...

Jane: Any kind of transport map
David: Chips

bodie and fou:What is next on your design journey?

Jane: the new collection
David: more prints

bodie and fou: And the mantra that keeps you going...?

Jane: Perseverance works

(C) BODIE and FOU www.bodieandfou.com
Photos credits: Bold & Noble

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!