Searching...

My next DIY challenge is....

Pimping up our kitchen units by Sunday evening!
You can see how it currently looks there. In fact, nothing has changed since it was photographed by Edition Paumes for their London Family Style book last year but to be honest they shot the nice part of the kitchen (high glass ceilings, natural light, French door leading onto the garden). On the right hand side, things aren't so good....Kitchen units are really old and Steve & I really can't stand the ugly stone tiles on the floor.
We had our hearts on a polished concrete floor to replace the tiles but we've been told that we will need to dig down quite deep for the company to pour enough concrete and achieve a lasting, hard-wearing look. So, I think we are going to settle for painted white floorboards a la Story Deli a few years back to achieve something between the kitchen of Li Edelkoort (below)

this one by the owners of Balthazar's Keuken, that has rocked my boat for some time

and ultimately this one (shot by Frederic Vasseur), which summarizes everything I like.... concrete and white

But we have the deck in the garden to do first so the total revamp of the kitchen will be for later. In the meantime, I thought, shall I give the units a white coat of paint and then paint the beams in white to emphasize the sense of space or be bolder and paint everything (and I mean everything as in the units!) in black like this kitchen which I really really love!

So as I was not fussed by either the white or black option, the kiwi (Steve) decided for black and I think that with a few "Have a seat" stools in white from House Doctor, a few industrial lights, a new fridge and our French doors opening onto our forthcoming deck, we won't be too far off this look. At the end of the day, if it turns out a complete disaster, we will just have to wait for the total revamp.
PS:
Photos of my DIY pallet table are coming up. I spent 2 hours this am to style the room and ended up with 90% of my shots out of focus because I didn't know how to use the new lense that my brother made me bought. Now that I have had his instructions, I will try again tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Back to top!